Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Check

Thursday 30 June 2011

Chocolate Mug Cake

This blog has moved to http://multiculturalmelbourne.com/



Multicultural Inspiration from... family :)


No, it's not a typo. Chocolate mug cake. As in, chocolate cake, in a mug. Ready in 5 minutes. No joke. Before I give you the low down on getting this together, let me tell you how this marvelous recipe came into my possession. 

Wayyy back a few years ago, I got an email from Sous-Jeff's mum. She's usually pretty good at sending amusing, tongue-in-cheek emails, so I always look forward to receiving them for a daily giggle. On this one particular day, I got an email with the subject title "FWD: Chocolate Mug Cake" and thought I might open it up to see a funny picture of chocolate in a mug, or a chocolate cake in the shape of a mug or something to that effect. What I found was quite another story. 


What Sous-Jeff's mum had passed onto me was a recipe for a chocolate cake which is made up in a coffee mug, out of plain, ordinary, always-have-them-at-home ingredients, and takes all of five minutes to put together and "cook." You don't even need an oven for it! I made this one about a week ago - I'd had a rotten day and nothing was going to help except chocolate cake. You know those days? A cookie or piece of chocolate just won't cut it - you just need cake. Well, I was having one of those days. I didn't have the energy, patience or calorie allowance to whip up an entire batch of chocolate cupcakes, so I went to my go-to comfort food in a hurry. Here's how to make it work next time you have one of those days...


First, grab out a coffee mug. Just an ordinary, standard sized coffee mug. Take a good look at it and admire it, for it is about to become the vessel from which your chocolate cake will spring forth from. Also, grab out a proper tablespoon with which to measure your few ingredients.


Now, take 4 tablespoons or plain flour, 3 tablespoons of caster sugar and 2 tablespoons of cocoa, put them in the mug and mix.


 Next, add in one egg, and mix thoroughly...



... until it looks like this:





In with 3 tbsp of milk, 1.5 tbsp of oil (olive, vegetable, whatever you have!) and a splash of vanilla extract...




... and mix it again!




This is optional, but being the coconut addict I am, I like to add in a tablespoon of dessicated coconut at this point...




Give it all another good mix, making sure to scrape all the flour and cocoa off the bottom of the mug and mix it into everything else. Now comes the fun part... put your mug into the microwave for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave. It will start to "puff" up and tower over the top of the mug - do not freak out, this is perfectly normal. I don't know how or why, but I do know I have made MANY mug cakes, and they've never completely over-flown or exploded in the microwave!




You'll know it's ready when it's firm to touch on top and is starting to come away from the edge of the mug.




Yes, it looks kinda holey and bizarre and almost plasticy, but I promise it's not! Tip it out onto a plate...




... and get ready to eat! Now, you can eat this however you want, but here's how I like to do it: grab a serrated knife and slice your cake in half down the middle.




Then slather it in Nutella and a little shredded coconut!




I'll be the first to admit, this cake isn't the softest, fluffiest, moistest, fanciest, prettiest cake you can make. But when you have a craving for chocolate cake and you don't have the time, energy, ingredients or equipment for a real cake, this really is satisfying!! It's also delicious with raspberries and icing sugar, or with a bit of peanut butter on top! Enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment