Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Check

Sunday 17 July 2011

Lime and Coconut Curd

This blog has moved to http://multiculturalmelbourne.com/



 Multicultural Inspiration from... Fiji


Fresh off the success of Sous-Jeff's Chilli Jam (which I can't try because it's too spicy!), I decide that it's time for me to try a condiment of my own. Not to be outdone, I decide to try not one, but two preserves - a lime and coconut curd (again, coming from the love of lime and coconut I developed over my many visits to Fiji), and strawberry jam. First up is my curd.


I have very fond childhood memories of lemon curd used as butter, coated on my toast, cake, biscuits, and whatever else I could get my little hands on. I absolutely loooooved the citrusy punch of the lemon combined with the secondary, super sweet sugar hit.



After a bit of googling and a bit of imagination, I've looked at around 5 or 6 different recipes, and decide to take elements of all of them, and a lot of my own imagination. And I'm glad I did, because it came out absolutely AMAZING!!!!

Here's what I did to get it right...


First, I passed 3 lightly whisked eggs through a strainer, to make sure the curd is super smooth.


Then, I grated the zest of one lime, and squeezed the juice of 2 limes.


I added the lime juice and zest, along with 100g of butter and 200g of sugar to a pot...


... and stirred and melted it all together, until the sugar had dissolved and the butter had melted, and it looked...


... like this!


I removed it from the heat and added to the melted mixture the strained eggs, and stirred with a wooden spoon to combine it.


Then, I put it back onto a low heat for about 10 minutes, constantly stirring, until it was thick and coated the wooden spoon...

...like this!


I added in 50g of dessicated coconut next...


... gently stirring it to combine.


And that's it! Finished! That simple! Into the jar it went, and I left it to cool slightly for about 15 minutes before putting the lid on.


It is absolutely delicious, and I can't tell you how in love with this curd I am!! I loooove tropical flavours, none more so than coconut and lime; I just find the flavours so refreshing, yet it really packs a punch.


It's just the right balance of sweet and tangy, and goes absolutely perfectly with buckwheat pancakes :)


I was surprised at how easy it was to make, and Would like to try a passion fruit and coconut combination too.

Over to you, lovely readers - what combinations have you, or would you like to try?! 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea using coconut in your curd! It goes so well with lime too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-ho, I haven't made curd in such a very long time! Love the addition of coconut, both for flavour and textural contrast. This would surely be amazing on a toasted English Muffin!

    ReplyDelete